Community Group Conversation Starters
GET IN THE GAME – Part 3/4
Pastor Clark Frailey
October 1, 2017
BIG IDEA: Commitment today creates the future you long for.
SCRIPTURE: “Tell people to use their money to do good. They should be rich in good works and should give happily to those in need, always being ready to share with others whatever God has given them. By doing this they'll be storing up real treasure for themselves in heaven – it is the only safe investment for eternity! And they will be living a fruitful Christian life down here as well.” -1 Timothy 6:18-19 (LB)
BACKGROUND: First-century Christians changed the world. Not through preaching, teaching, or theology, but through their enormous generosity and by recognizing the humanity of those who lived on the margins of society. We can do the same. With the national economy in shambles, your light of generosity can shine brighter than ever before.
"If you don’t invest very much, then defeat doesn’t hurt very much and winning is not very exciting.” -Coach Dick Vermeil
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven.”
Matthew 6:19-20 (NIV)
“Grow in spiritual strength and become better acquainted with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” 2 Peter 3:18 (LB)
“They gave as much as they were able and even more than they could afford. No one told them to do it. They pleaded with us to let them share in this service for God's people.”
2 Corinthians 8:3-4 (NCV)
- If time and money were no object, what would you do?
- What does it mean to be fully committed to a local church? What does it mean for our finances?
- Why do we hesitate to give to others even though we have more than we need?
- Read Luke 16:11. Talk about how you can afford to make investments in God's Kingdom. Speak to the sacrifice you are making to empower Coffee Creek Church to reach the unchurched, equip the Next Generation, build community, and serve the hurting.
- Pastor Clark taught that regular, systematic giving is what sets the stage for amazing things to happen at Coffee Creek through the 3 metaphorical "funds" God has in mind for our investments: The Treasury Fund, The Growth Fund, & The Service Fund. Which of these funds touches you more deeply than the others? Explain.
- Are you a Creeker yet? Pastor Clark said Creekers are defined by actions not by intentions. Are you fully on-board or still kicking the tires? How long have you been kicking the tires?
Will you commit to give systematically and proportionately? Check out our online giving at coffeecreek.cc/give - it's safe, simple, and secure. About 85% of our church now gives online! Set it and forget it!
CLOSING PRAYER: Please pray for your group members to move from the sidelines to being fully in the game. Unlike the opening video's little footballer running in circles, there is no confusion as to how God instructs us to use our resources. We also know that we're better together than apart, so we encourage our attenders to help us create a movement where we can be used effectively for the Kingdom work right here at Coffee Creek!
Alcorn, Randy. Money Posessions and Eternity. Wheaton: Tyndale House Publisher’s, Inc. , 2003.
Larry Burkett, Ron Blue. Wealth to Last ‐ Money Essentials for the Second Half of Life. Nashville: B & H Publishers, 2003.
Ingram, Chip. The Genius of Generosity ‐ Why God Prospers Generous People. Atlanta: Walk Through the Bible, 2002.
Rollyn H. Samp, J.D. The Final Tithe ‐ A Christian Approach to Estate Planning. Sioux Falls: Rushmore House Publishing, 2005.